General Guidance for Applicants
The Trustees are looking to build longer term relationships with the small charities they choose to support. Typically they award grants of £3,000 per annum for three years, ie a total of £9,000.
Applicants are advised to indicate clearly how such a series of small grants will be of significant benefit. The impact of the grant should be measurable. The Trustees need to be convinced that such a grant will provide meaningful support for a particular cost or project area, and it will have discernible impact. They will consider requests for funding for specific projects or for core costs. At the end of the grant period you will be asked to make a final report to demonstrate the impact of the grant.
You can read more about our current Small Charity Partners here.
The Trustees envisage building a supportive relationship with charities in receipt of grants. This could take the form of visits to the charity, invitations to report at meetings of the Trustees, opportunities to attend events at Armourers’ Hall. Applicants should understand the value of such engagement and be enthusiastic partners.
- be charities registered in the UK (with the Charity Commission of England Wales, the Scottish Charity Regulator or the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland)
- be operating either throughout the UK (ie not regionally) or in London (defined as within the M25).
- have had income below £500,000 in the last financial year for which full accounts are available
- be operating in one of the following categories: Community or Armed Forces; Children, Youth or General Education; Health or Medical; the Arts, Arms or Armour.
Applicants should not:
- be applying for general maintenance, repair or restoration of buildings
- be applying for sponsorship as individuals
- be applying for the benefit of an individual
- be applying for charities or projects outside the UK.
Applications Process and Timetable
The timetable for the current applications cycle is as follows:
- Applications are currently invited via the online application form
- midnight on Sunday 1st March 2020 - applications close
- 16th March to 20th May 2020 - Trustees may request to visit shortlisted applicants.
- Thursday 21st May 2020 - shortlisted applicants will be interviewed at Armourers' Hall
Applications will only be considered if submitted via the online application form. You will be asked some questions to verify your eligibility before you can access the full form. As part of the application process you will be asked to upload your most recent financial statements. If you are a new charity and do not yet have audited accounts, you should upload your budget and/or business plan for the year. If your accounts show a substantial cash balance you may wish to explain why this is the case.
Applications will be reviewed by a staff member and shortlisted applications will be considered by the Trustees of the Armourers & Brasiers Gauntlet Trust. Applicants who are shortlisted for interview may receive a request for a Trustee to visit the charity before the date of the interview. Interviews are held at Armourers' Hall.